Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Even a pessimist!

Having employed many methods of Bible study over the years, I find that I am using the "stumble upon" method far too often. If you read, or have read, the Bible at all, you probably have used this method at least a few times - you know, the one where you open to a random page and start reading wherever your eyes happen to land. While this is frowned upon by those who study the Bible seriously, myself included, I dare say the argument can and should be made that it is far better to study this way than not at all.

This morning my "stumble upon" reading of the day was the familiar account of the death of Lazarus. Now, all sorts of marvelous truths can be gleaned from this story, but the conclusion of the following passage stood out to me today.

John
11:1.Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. 2.This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair. 3.So the sisters sent word to Jesus, "Lord, the one you love is sick." 4.When he heard this, Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." 5. Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. 6.Yet when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days. 7. Then he said to his disciples, "Let us go back to Judea." 8. "But Rabbi," they said, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you, and yet you are going back there?" 9. Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours of daylight? A man who walks by day will not stumble, for he sees by this world's light. 10. It is when he walks by night that he stumbles, for he has no light." 11. After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." 12. His disciples replied, "Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better." 13. Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep. 14. So then he told them plainly, "Lazarus is dead, 15. and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him." 16. Then Thomas (called Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, "Let us also go, that we may die with him."

Have you ever stuck your foot so far into your mouth that everyone around you can only stare in stunned silence? I can only imagine that this may have been the outcome of Thomas' unfortunate comment, since the very next verse jumps ahead to their arrival in Bethany. It's as if there was simply nothing else to say. I find that, all too often, the sarcasm, pessimism, unbelief, and just plain rude inappropriateness, such as Thomas displayed, can be found on my lips and in my heart as well, particularly when the circumstances are not going the way I think they should. I long, more than anything, for my heart to be in step with Jesus, and yet, I end up throwing my logic back in His face when things don't make sense to me. It is only later that I remember that my "logic" is but foolishness to the One who sees, knows and controls all.

The good news I find in this is that Jesus knew Thomas was this way before He chose him to be His disciple. He knew the struggle that Thomas would have believing Him and that this character flaw would display itself as a big giant foot in his mouth from time to time, and He chose him anyway. I'm so glad of that, because there are many times that my attitude and outlook leave much to be desired and I really struggle with assuming the worst and being a flat-out stinkin' grouch. But, I know that He loves me anyway, and chose me to be His, even despite my shortcomings. That goes for you too!

Now, let's all sing Kum-Ba-Yah and dance around the fire! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and kind with your comments. Any comments containing spam, personal attacks on myself or others, foul language, explicit sexual references, inappropriate profile images or other offensive material will be deleted. Thank you.